Saturday, February 9, 2008

Memory Lane

This library is next door to where Nathan practiced today. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that a huge chunk of who I am was formed in this building. My first introduction to art was here, my first acting classes were here, my reading skills were developed here, my sense of self was probably discovered here.....I know my LOVE of books was nurtured here.
This passageway was my "Alice Tunnel", let's follow it....
After going through the dark and spooky tunnel (at least to a 7 year old it was) you come out into my play yard.
Here is the Great Tree that listened to all my secrets. She blooms with the largest pure white magnolia flowers you have ever seen each year. (Funny aside, the green building in the background was were Kayleigh had her 1st non-college apt. and the church in the background is an Episcopal one. It shares the parking lot with the Catholic college)
The window in the middle was my mom's office window.
This was the door to the Covenent, but now it is the Nursing Dept.
The second floor on the left, where the windows look a little greener, is the chapel. At least I think it is still a chapel. I didn't get to go in and look.
Then back through the "Alice Tunnel".
Another view of the Library and Science buildings. Where I learned how rats are tested for psychology and I participated in many experiments too.
After coming out of the tunnel, if you look the other way, you see the other library I spent quite a bit of time at. It is the city's main public branch.
A little more background story.....This is Spalding College (now Spalding University), my mom got a job here when I was 7 yrs old. I rode the city bus from my school to the bus stop about 6 blocks from here and then walked, checked in with my mom, then ran the campus. I was almost 13 years old before I was allowed to go home after school. I think I was only allowed then because my sister was finally in school and rode a school bus and I had to be home to babysit her.

It has only been the last few years that I have understood the impact of my early freedom and of literally growing up on a college campus. I was never treated like a child, I was allowed to walk into just about any class I wanted as long as I was quiet, I ran errands for the office workers, studied with the college students, modeled for art classes, participated in psychology experiments, worshiped with the Sisters, had formal tea in the formal drawing room two afternoons a week, and just wondered and wandered......

4 comments:

Katrina said...

I enjoyed this little journey down memory lane with you. Beautiful campus! What a unique experience for you as a child.

Susanne Barrett said...

What a wonderful, wonderful childhood you must have had -- having free run of a college campus like this must have simply been awesome! It helps to explain why you're such a wonderful, open, thoughtful person. :)

Unknown said...

This was so fun to read and look at. I agree with Susanne, it does explain a lot about why you are so wonderful. :)

Lew said...

A great early education about learning. our whole education system would better serve our kids if this kind of acceptance and participation ewre the norm.