Sunday, January 7, 2007

Why was Jesus Baptized in water?

That was the topic of today's sermon. Jesus didn't need to be washed of any sin, he didn't need to join a specific sect, he didn't need to prove anything....so why?

Everything he did was to teach us or stand in for us. I personally think it cements the symbolizm of the importance of water to God and to us.


This silver bowl is used during the service by the priest to 'wash' his hands, in place of all of us washing our hands before communion. This models the one doing something for the whole. We can all come to the table fresh because of the deeds of one. Interesting thought....

As I walked out of church, I was drenched in a very cold rain. It reminded me again of the sermon, water is global. In Ky right now this should be snow! Are our actions causing harm to the natural systems that God set up for us? What can I do to live more in harmony with the rest of creation?

Would I appreciate water more if I had to work for a cup of tea? It is so easy to walk in the house and turn on the stove and heat the water. I have a fire going in the fire place downstairs, how much longer would have taken to put the tea pot on the fireplace? How many ways can I think of to be a better steward of what I have so freely been given?

I have heard that the river Jordan where Jesus was baptized isn't much bigger than a creek. I went and looked at my creek today. Where does this water go, who will drink it someday? Am I doing anything to leave it cleaner than the way I found it? Water never stops moving. It continue traveling all over the earth. This little creek water might have been or maybe it is on its way to Jordan. If this water touched the physical body of Jesus does that make it more special than the water I used to make my tea? If people thought certain molecules of water touched Jesus would they think those water molecules were more worth saving than the rest of the earth's water supply?

The gift of water is precious. I think I will be pondering that every time I turn that faucet on. My grandmother used to go balistic when I left the water running. I always thought it was just 'her' being over zealous, but now I think it was her being wise before her time. She didn't have running water, she didn't have any indoor plumbing at all until well into adulthood. She never took clean available water for granted the way I do. Today, I thought about how more people in this world are like my grandmother-- they have to work for clean water, they have to carry it long distances, they have to ration it...am I by my actions making their lives harder or easier?

So, why was Jesus baptized in water!?! Because life is not possible without water and we should never take that fact for granted.

No comments: