Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What does "getting a life" mean?

A few of my friends have been blogging about needing 'real life relationships.' I have been feeling a need for this too for a couple years now. I joined two book clubs a serious theological one and a fun light hearted one. I didn't really find what I was looking for with either. I try to keep up with them, but I have to admit that when things get busy they are the first to go on the back burner.

I have been trying to be even more active at church and I have to say that while Sundays are nice, Wednesday nights feed my soul more. On Wednesday about 20-25 (adults and kids combined) of us share an informal Mass, dinner, and ideas. Sometimes we have a scheduled topic and other times we just talk about life.

When I really think about it, these Wednesday nights are the only reason I have to leave the house now. With Athena driving and Dirk home (and driving again), I can send them on any errands I need done. My 'work' comes to me and I no longer play chauffeur, so I don't hang out with other moms and wait on kids any more either.

Here is what I think I am missing that I used to take for granted:
A workout partner-- I loved getting up every morning at 6am and meeting B. at the gym. We had so many things in common and our kids did lots of stuff together, so we always had lots to talk about.

Dance/ gym moms-- it was a huge part of my life for so many years to sit and wait for hours and just talk to these other moms who were doing the same thing, had kids the same ages and were going through many of the same life issues at the same time. When I first started the Center I was too busy to realize how much I missed this and then the kids started driving and so none of the old moms were hanging out anymore, I miss them more than I ever thought I would.

Working on a college campus!-- I think I miss this one most of all. It has been 6 years since I taught a college class. I don't think I missed it at first because Dirk work at U of L for a few more years, but now that neither of us are on a campus and have no real need to go to a campus I find myself with a huge whole. Taking classes is not currently an option, and the funny thing about what I taught is that now IUS only hires people with terminal degrees to teach it! I started their TV production program with a degree in Film and my teaching partner had a degree in electrical engineering, now that the program is so big they want to hire phd's in Communication or Journalism!

Taking college classes whenever I wanted in whatever struck my fancy-- one of the best perks of working on campus or having a spouse working on campus. Even when I didn't take one, I knew I could.

The challenge of starting something new. The Center is working so smoothly now it is easy to manage. I need a challenge, one that costs no money, but has the possiblity of earning money! I need something that totally consumes me that I can get started and watch grow.

g2g...more thoughts later

No comments: