Thursday, January 3, 2008

Today, I pondered Histograms

When I first got my camera I accidentally hit the button that showed the histogram every time I took a shot. I wasn't even sure what I was looking at so I was glad when I figured out how to turn it off.

Then while reading the DPS forum, I learned what it was for and how to use it. Today, I went for a walk in my yard and used the histogram to get proper lighting and exposures over the whole shot. After looking at the histogram I would adjust the shutter speeds up or down. Usually, I had the 'proper' exposure within 3-5 shots. Here is an article that was linked at DPS that really helped.

Since I finally got these three to upload, I will use them as my example. It was MUCH easier to see the differences in the histograms than it was to see the differences in on the LCD screen. I am super excited to keep learning how to use this new tool.


yard 032
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 35 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV

yard 034
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 35 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV

yard 036
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 35 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV

No comments: