Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Great Vigil..

Eternal God, shed your light upon those of us who watch for you,
that our lips may praise you,
our hearts bless you,
and our lives glorify you,
Through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen

From the New Zealand BCP

Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. 41"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."

42He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."

43When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. 44So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

45Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is near, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46Rise, let us go! Here comes my betrayer!"

It means a lot to me every year to 'stay awake and pray with Jesus for an hour' during the Great Vigil. This year it was set up in the new little chapel and that was nice. I prayed the rosary using the New Zealand BCP. It was very quiet and still this year. I was alone with God.

No comments: