Sunday, April 1, 2007

Palm Sunday--what is it all about?

Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples." He said in reply "I tell you, if they keep silent, the stones will cry out!"
(Luke 19:39-40)


I like how Fr. Ben said today that Palm Sunday or Passion Sunday, to be more correct, is like the cliff notes version of Holy Week. The service starts on the high note of Jesus being adored by the masses and ends with the Crucifixion. Too much information in to short a time.

I love the pageantry of the Palm procession. The pretty clothes, the pretty flowers, the green of spring, the love that went into making the palms and even the way the larger palm branches wave in the breeze. God is waking up the world, that is what it feels like on Palm Sunday morning. I pause in that Glory. I rest in that Peace.

It sets the tone for me for the rest of the week. I know that I will spend every night in worship, so I can savor each step. I don't have to focus on the Passion or the Crucifixion today. Their days will come. Today is about rejoicing and being in the moment of the awaking, the recognition.

This is about God walking among the people again. Not just the high and learned, but the lowest and poorest people too, accessible to all.

So sing today:
Hosanna
Hey Sanna Sanna Sanna Hosanna
Hey Sanna Hosanna
Hey JC, JC won't you smile at me?
Sanna Hosanna
Hey Superstar


No comments: