Saturday, April 14, 2007

Simple Pleasures.....

As inspired by Tia of Living Deliberately here is my simple pleasure for this week.....

Being able to rent movies On Demand. The movies are less than $4.00, no going out in the car to get them, no late fees because I forgot to take them back, interesting selection of independent movies I probably would not have tried because the store would not have carried them.

Today I rented

QuinceaƱera

This Sundance award winning film refreshingly addresses the Latino/American culture as experienced in the Echo Park area of L.A. Some themes running throughout are coming of age through the exciting wedding-like Quinceanera celebrating the 15th birthday of Latino girls. I was impressed by the honesty and goodness of each character in their chosen lifestyles. Spirituality runs throughout the formalized services headed by Magdalena's father(the serious but judgmental religious type)to the nonjudgmental Tio Tomas' acceptance and love given to all, regardless of circumstances, lifestyle, or "sin."

Echo Park culture is shown to make the most of what they have, without self-pity or whining. This movie should make the big screen for it's flair, artistry, honesty, and empathy for our country's largest minority, under-represented till now. Hooray for Quinceanera! It's joyful and a and real "upper."

I agree with this reviewer. I think I expected something else from the movie (more like a teen comedy), but was very suprised at the beautiful real people it portrayed struggling with life changing decisions. The subtle spirituality running through the movie was just right. God was present without being preachy at all! This was a real treat today.

2 comments:

NoVA Dad said...

We're always having problems with our On Demand service; thank the Lord for Netflix (which I've determined is the ultimate movie rental system for lazy people like me). Thanks for mentioning this particular film; sounds interesting -- and since my wife and I love off-the-beaten-path movies like this, it should be right up our alley.

Dalissa McEwen Reeder said...

Sounds good. I've seen a few "Quincinera" parties featured on MTV (I forget what the name of the show that would show these events was) and it was incredible the amount of money that these parents would spend on these events. They seemed to equal the amount of money spent on Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. And, from what I saw which definitely was only the MTV version, there was little spirituality. The girls featured seemed like typical materialistic, self-centered teenagers.