Saturday, July 21, 2007

I have got to summerize this week!

Sunday, I spent most of the day online and working on lesson plans from the coming year. We moved some furniture around to see how it 'felt' and we went to a couple stores to price new living room pieces.

Monday, was pretty frustrating. I went to see my accountant. She told me I had to raise my prices by 1/3 to break even. We also did some research and found that cottage schools and private schools in my area charge double to quadriple what I charge for fewer hours, larger class sizes, and no personal mentoring/tutoring. I can't figure out why I feel quilty for raising my prices, but I seriously do. My accountant says it is all about my feelings of self-worth and that I am not valuing myself or my skills enough. She is frustrated with me because I pay my housekeeper, my tutors and even my students and parents who do work exchange for tuition well, but I don't expect the same for myself. I didn't think you were supposed to cry at the accountant's office.

Then to top Monday off, I was supposed to come home to finish the house cleaning with Dirk and Nathan, and both of them disappeared for the whole day. It was also Mom's big chemo day. She felt pretty good when she got home, but the weeks when she gets both meds are the hardest.

Tuesday, I worked with 4 students, did some housekeeping and cooking, and waited for a visit from my aunt and uncle. About 4pm we got a call saying my aunt had just been admitted to a local hospital because they thought she had a stoke. It was a bit disconcerting to say the least. Mom didn't feel strong enough or well enough to go to the hospital to see my aunt and my uncle didn't feel like he could leave her because every time she seemed to be getting well, she would have a bad spell. (She is ok, they ruled out stroke and many more serious things. It seems to be migrain related)

Wednesday, I worked with 3 students, did more cooking for Nathan's B-day. His day kind of got lost in the shuffle of people to and from the hospital. He had a nice group of friends come over after dance class and help him eat his DQ cake and watch a movie. I finally got to go to the hospital to see my aunt, it was a nice visit. My sister went to the airport to get my cousin. Mom was not feeling well at all, she had a strong cough she couldn't shake and every movement made her nauseous.

Thursday, I worked with 4 students, we did lots and lots of MATH in the morning and played our role playing game in the afternoon. We also did quite a bit of cleaning. It was nice to have their help. Mom was hitting her worst day as far as feeling sick and weak goes. Dirk was also having a bad day. It was getting ready to storm and that pressure makes all his pain issues much worse.

When the storms came I lost a tree and lots of branches. The tree blocked our drive just as a new parent was coming for an entrance interview. Dirk went out in the storm to move it with the tractor, but it was too heavy for our little tractor. After fighting the tree and losing(with bruises and a couple deep scratches as battle wounds), he came in changed out of his ripped and soaked clothes and took some food up to the hospital for my aunt and uncle.

Friday, I had two students and all they wanted to do was rearrange the furniture again and cook. However, before that happened we did a math lesson. They are on the last few lessons of the Saxon Alg. I book and many of the concepts and formulas are proving to be a challenge for them.

My aunt was released from the hospital and made it to our house to see my mom! We had a nice brunch of quiche and fruit. It was a great visit, even if too short. My aunt was still a bit weak and my mom was better, but still tires fast. It was wonderful to see my cousin and my uncle as well. They are both funny and tell good stories.

And now it is Saturday, my challenge for the day is to pay too many bills with too little money and move more furniture around! It is a total transformation of the house, but I am liking the direction it is going. I also have to seriously investigate a leak. It looks like the downstairs toilet is leaking under the wall and into the adjoining room. I have also been thinking about the Sunday Scribble topic of 'wicked' and I plan on picking up a copy of Harry today to.

1 comment:

MaryD said...

Sandie, I can sure understand you feeling guilty for raising prices once you've established them. But seeing that
1.) you are not breaking even and
2.) you are providing a more individualized service at way less cost than others in your area--

I hope you will feel that it's a rational decision, not that you are trying for top-dollar but at this point you are not even being minimally fairly compensated ! Bless you!!

Sounds like the whole week was huge... much good is happening though!