Sunday, July 22, 2007

Theology Meme

I saw this meme on The Church Geek's blog, so I thought I’d play along:

1. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 high), how would you rate your theological knowledge and breadth/depth of reading?
Overall probably a 5, I have a general breadth, but I only have depth in the ancient and medieval theologians. I have very little knowledge of the theological debates of the last 100 yrs.

2. What thoughts and feelings come to your mind when you hear the word “theology”?
To me, theology is just a fancy word for working out how humans relate to God and vise-versa.

3. Who is your favorite theologian, and why?
It is hard to pick just one, but if I think about someone I read over and over, it would have to be Julian of Norwich. Her images of Christ as mother and lover, mean a lot to me.

4. Who is your least favorite theologian, and why?
Is
Jerry B. Jenkins, considered a theologian?! He wrote those awful Left Behind books. I think his theology is just wrong, but so many have bought it hook, line, and sinker. Charles M. Sheldon would be a close second for the WWJD craze that was almost as bad.

5. Which theologians have you been meaning to read, but have not gotten to yet?
Rosemary Radford Ruether (I have only skimmed her work), Dietrich Bonhoeffer (I have read about him, just not much of his work), Gustavo Gutierrez (I have an interest in Liberation Theology and he was recommended)....

6. If you are Catholic, can you name a favorite Protestant theologian, and if Protestant, Catholic?
I am very much in the middle between the two and don't really consider myself either one. SO, my favorite Catholic theologian is Thomas Merton, I enjoy reading and thinking about everything I can get my hands on by him. And my favorite Protestant theologian is
John Shelby Spong, not because I agree with him, but because he asks really great questions!

7. What theologies do you love like a rescue dog that saved your life?
I get pretty passionate when discussing
exegesis, and other things that have to do with interpretations and how to interpret.

8. What theologies do you see commonly abused and wish people would stop it?
I don't know the name of it, but it has to do with 'winning souls' for Christ. People who go on mission trips to see how many of the 'unclean' they can personally bring to Christ. The mission is a success if X number of souls are 'won'. It is all about the conversion moment and not the journey.

9. What theologies do you think are from the pit of hell, inspired by demonic powers?
Eschatology, yuck, yuck, yuck! I think using future fears or rewards to motivate people to do the right thing now is just twisted! I think the whole rapture movement gives the wrong picture of Christ.

10. What theological concept is most needed but ignored in contemporary Christianity?
I would like to see more and learn more about Liberation Theology and the Divine Feminine. I see more that bashes them then actually discusses the ideas they bring up. I think both concepts have a lot to say to the average person.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for playing!