Saturday, June 9, 2007

Goal number 5 of "get a life"

So we get to the outdoor theatre a little early because Dirk wanted to see the pre-show which turned out to be a bunch of middle school girls singing and dancing. They were okay, but we have seen much better. A couple of the girls had really strong voices.
This is the set for Little Shop of Horrors. It was the best part of the production. The set designer did a great job with the over all look and function of the stage. Many parts of the set spun around for easy change of scene without stopping the action on stage. That part was just about seamless.
There were storms earlier in the day, the sky was strange, but beautiful colors (this picture doesn't do it justice) . We were hoping any more rain would hold off, and it did. The night was a bit muggy, but nice.
Dirk got an ice cream for us to share, problem was I don't like cookies 'n cream. So, he threw himself upon it, sparing me from eating something I didn't like :)
During intermission the Belle of Louisville passed by all lit up. It was really pretty. I still get excited when I see that old paddle wheel on the river. It reminds me of all the steamboat races my family attended when I was younger, then my best friend in high school played the calliope for the Belle for 8 or 9 years and he took me on her with him quite often, and I used to take Kayleigh and Athena for afternoon cruises when they were very young (pre-Nathan days).

The play itself is nothing to write about. It was community theatre. It had very spotty performances, one or two more consistant performers, and one real stand out (the voice of Audry II). Most people were about 35-30 years too old for their part, but then they had many teens and young adults playing the 'older' extras.

It was a nice night out of the house and into the community. We saw many people Dirk and Kayleigh have been shows with. And I got to people watch, which is one of my favorite pastimes.

No comments: