Thursday, December 28, 2006

Introducing the family


This is Nathan, my nephew. I been helping to raise and home educate him since he was 6 months old. This year at 14, he entered public school for the first time. He is my challenge. He pushes every boundary he can find. He refuses to believe in gravity or his own mortality. There will probably be lots of post about my near heart attacks in reguards to Nathan.
This is Athena. She is my neice, but I have had her at least part time since she was 2 yrs old. She is a senior this year and already has senioritis pretty bad. I am not sure she is totally ready to go away, but I also think she is the kind of person who is never 'ready' for something until they just do it. She has auditioned and applied to some pretty good schools. She is the one most like me....She was even complaining the other day that her handwriting was just like mine.
This is Kayleigh, she will probably be the subject of many of my posts. We are going through a huge change in our relationship right now. It is hard for me and I feel like I am in uncharted waters. A lot of my thoughts lately revolve around how to help without enabling. She has been independent all her life, but now suddenly after moving to NYC she seems to have lost her edge, or her go-get-'em spirit. I want her to feel supported, but not so comfortable that she losses her hunger to succeed.

Well, I am need to get off now. Tomorrow I will introduce Dirk and my mom. It is hard for me to define myself separate from them anymore. I am not sure I really wnat to, but it would be nice to have part of my life that is connected to something else, too.


1 comment:

SUSAN said...

Lovely family, Sandy! Be sure and post a pic of you too.

I can relate to some of your feelings about Kayleigh. Just when you think you sorta have the relationship figured out, those kids go and grow up some more or go through some rough spots and you are back to figuring and readjusting and etc,etc...

Hugs,
Susan