Saturday, March 17, 2007

Gluttony (Latin, gula)


Modern views identify Gluttony with an overindulgence of food and drink, though in the past any form of thoughtless excess could fall within the definition of this sin. Gluttony is marked by unreasonable or unnecessary excess of consumption.

Finger foods! What is it about finger foods that causes 'unnecessary excess of consumption'? With other foods I can easily cut them in half and eat smaller portions, but with finger foods I tend to eat them until they are gone, just because they taste good. I hate it because it makes me feel stuffed and uncomfortable. Luckily, I rarely make things like this without having a huge house full of people. Lots of people, will stand around and eat them before I can overeat them! It works especially well when said people are teenagers :)

By sharing with everyone no one person eats too much. That makes me think of the other things in my life that I am thoughtlessly excessive about. If I shared them more with those who have none, my life would be simplier and a lot less stressful! I will be purging my excess of clothes and the excess of junk that has collected around here will be sold, recycled or hauled away.

I hope to replace thoughtless excess with deliberate simplifed choices.



2 comments:

SUSAN said...

I have to ask...are those buffalo wings?

Finger foods are my downfall too@

Susan

Sandie said...

Susan they are spicy barbequed drumlets. I don't call them buffalo wings unless I lightly bread and deep fry them before baking the sauce on. I don't do that very often anymore at all. I usually even take the skin off before baking in the sauce now a days. :)