Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Greed (Latin, avaritia)

Greed is, like Lust and Gluttony, a sin of excess. However, Greed (as seen by the Church) applied to the acquisition of wealth in particular. Thomas Aquinas wrote that Greed was "a sin against God, just as all mortal sins, in as much as man condemns things eternal for the sake of temporal things."

You might be wondering what this little monkey has to do with Greed....especially Greed with a big G. This little guy is too cute, he was bought for an even cuter little girl, then he was forgotten minutes later. I saw this little girl, about 5-6 yrs old, beg Dad over and over for this little guy. Dad said no, quite a few times, then the little girl dug her heels in and pulled out the big tears! Well, Dad melted went and bought the little monkey. He got a hug and a pretty smile, but it didn't last long. Because something else caught her eye and she HAD to have it. The monkey was left at the theatre and never reclaimed.

I saw the fit Saturday night when I was there with Nathan and then I saw the monkey in the same spot when I returned Sunday morning. I sat and looked at it all day Sunday thinking about how many times I had given into those fits and how I was teaching Greed with a big G. The acquisition of things, just because. I want to think I wasn't as gullable as "that Dad", but I know I was....still am sometimes.

My knowing mind and my emotional self are often in conflict when it comes to greed. I want money, who doesn't. I want nice things, again who doesn't, but at what expense. When does the acquisition of things cross the line into the sin of Greed? And how often by our actions are we teaching Greed without even thinking about it?

1 comment:

Katrina said...

You are doing a great job with these vices! You have a creative way of thinking, Sandie. Love it!