Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pride (Latin, superbia)

In almost every list Pride is considered the original and most serious of The Seven Deadly Sins, and indeed the ultimate source from which the others arise. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to give compliments to others though they may be deserving of them, and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbour."

Ok, again books might seem like a strange connection to pride, but since this is about me, I'll explain. I am a book snob. I take too much pride in what I have read, what books I have available, and even the books I assign students. If I am not careful, I can insult and make others feel bad for what they haven't read. I feel contempt for those who don't read. Too often, I think reading makes me better than those who don't read. That pride gets in the way of me make an actual connection with the person.

There are many areas of my life where I feel inferior and I have used books to compensate. But one thing doesn't make up for the others. When the love of books has been put up on a pedestal, or used as weapon to make others feel bad, then it has been perverted. A good thing taken to the extreme and made bad.

I love it when people come into my house and see all my books. They think I am smart. Then I feel even smarter and more powerful when I can 'show off' and say have you read 'such and such'.... the answer is usually, no. There is a fine line between being proud of accomplishements and the sin of Pride that makes you feel better than others.

2 comments:

Ampersand said...

There is a fine line between being proud of accomplishements and the sin of Pride that makes you feel better than others.

Ain't that the truth my friend!

SUSAN said...

Sandie, I love the honest reflection you are giving to these "sins", as well as the photos you are using to symbolize the word.

Susan